Graduate Study in the Environment
The environment is one of the most important areas of academic concern in the 21st century. UNC-Chapel Hill offers environmental graduate degrees to students interested in advanced study through the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business and Public Health. The College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Law and Social Work offer graduate courses that focus on environmental issues.
Environmental Graduate Degrees at Carolina
- Department of Anthropology in the College of Arts and Sciences offers the M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Anthropology with a Graduate Concentration in Archaeology, Ecology and Evolution.
- Curriculum in Applied and Materials Sciences, an interdisciplinary graduate program, brings together faculty from Physics & Astronomy, Chemistry, and various departments in the health sciences (including Dentistry, Orthopedics, and Biomedical Engineering) to engage in research and training in Materials Science.
- Department of Biology in the College of Arts and Sciences offers the M.A., M.S. and Ph.D. in Biology. The department's graduate programs include the discipline of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology.
- The Kenan-Flagler Business School offers an MBA with a concentration in Sustainable Enterprise, built around the activities of the Center for Sustainable Enterprise and routinely listed as the top such program in the country.
- Department of City and Regional Planning in the College of Arts and Science offers the MRP (Master of Regional Planning) and the Ph.D. in Planning. The department's areas of specialization include Land Use, Transportation and Environmental Planning.
- Curriculum for the Environment and Ecology in the College of Arts and Sciences offers the M.A., M.S. and Ph.D. in Ecology.
- Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering in the School of Public Health offers the MS, MSPH, MSEE, MPH and Ph.D. degrees in a wide range of environmental areas.
- Department of Geography in the College of Arts and Sciences has a graduate program that offers the M.A. and Ph.D. The department's areas of research specialization include Earth-Environmental Systems, Nature and Society and Geographic Information.
- Department of Geological Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences offers the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Geological Sciences.
- Department of Marine Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences offers the M.S. and Ph.D. in Marine Sciences.
- Department of Public Policy in the College of Arts and Sciences offers the Ph.D. in Public Policy. One of the department's research foci and policy field concentrations is Environmental and Energy Policy.
- The Curriculum in Toxicology is an interdisciplinary program with roots in Medicine, Public Health and Pharmacy, providing rigorous, advanced training in the sciences underlying environmental toxicology and environmental health.
Graduate Courses Focusing Upon Environmental Issues
- Department of Communication Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences offers Environmental Communication and the Public Sphere.
- Department of Economics in the College of Arts and Sciences offers Resource and Environmental Economics.
- School of Law offers Environmental Law.
- Department of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences offers Mathematical Modeling I and Mathematical Modeling II.
- Department of Political Science in the College of Arts and Sciences offers Government and the Environment.
- Department of Sociology in the College of Arts and Sciences offers Human Ecology.